One quilt, one person, one camera + three minutes = another quilt story saved!
The recipe for Go Tell It! is simple: one person talking about one quilt in front of one camera for three minutes, recording the story of the quilt according to the “teller.” All you need is a camera, a quilt, and a quiet, well-lit space.
In 2012, the Quilt Alliance began filming short three-minute video interviews at places where quiltmakers gathered for a new project called ‘Go Tell It at the Quilt Show!“. Now we want to hear from you! We’re looking for quilt stories, from antique to modern, appliqué and wholecloth, from the perspective of not just makers, but quilt collectors, recipients, curators, family members, or anyone else who loves quilts.
Sharing your quilt story is as easy as:
Pick a spot and set up your quilt
- You are important, and so is your quilt! Be sure we can see it fully and clearly by hanging it on neutral background, without a lot of activity going on behind it. The teller should stand in front of the quilt to talk.
- Film your video in a bright spot with good lighting so that the quilt is visible. Near a window, outdoors, or in a room with bright light during the day is best.
- Try to capture the best sound you can. We want to be able to hear the story of your quilt loud and clear! Film a test video first to see how it looks and sounds to you.
- Important: if you’re using a phone to film your video, rotate your phone so it’s horizontal (landscape), not vertical.
- If you’re filming yourself, set your camera (or phone) on something sturdy so the video doesn’t shake and bounce. Better yet, get a friend to help!
- Start your video with: “My name is ________ and I’m telling my quilt story in [City, State]”. Don’t leave this line out! It’s how we’ll know it’s part of the Go Tell It! project.
- Then, start talking! You can share anything that you feel is important about the quilt: how you made it, why you made it, who gave it to you, why it’s a meaningful quilt for you… the sky’s the limit! Well, three minutes is the limit, so you’ll want to keep an eye on the video timer.
Share your video
- Upload your video here. Just navigate to your video file and click “upload”!
- Then, fill out this form to submit your Go Tell It! video. We’ll send an email to you as soon as it’s available on our website and on the official Go Tell It playlist.